St. Matthew Lutheran Church was founded in Walled Lake, Michigan, in 1945 as a mission congregation. After spending our first few years in historic Stonecrest, and then constructing a new building at 418 E. Nicolet Street, we built on our current Walled Lake site at 2040 S. Commerce Road in 1958.
We added St. Matthew Lutheran School to our ministry, and have grown in size and ministry over the years, adding a Prayer and Praise worship style to our original Traditional style, an International Friends Ministry, and expanding our children’s and student programs.
In 2001 we also added a second campus in nearby Wixom, at 48380 Pontiac Trail, where we enjoy another contemporary worship style (New Vintage) and serve the community with Hearts & Hands Child Development Center.
St. Matthew is really about drawing nearer to a God who loves us, and the people He loves, both within the church and in our surrounding ministry area. We are passionate about worship, about growing up in Him, about children, and about sharing His love with one another and with our community. While we are a large church (about 1,000 people worshiping in various worship styles and times) that offers a wide variety of Bible studies, serving opportunities, activities, worship styles and locations, we love to grow closer together in love, prayer, study, friendship, and caring for one another in various kinds of small groups.
We have become a regional church, of people from many backgrounds and cultures, mostly from a 10 mile radius from our campuses – people who love to worship and grow in our relationships with God and with each other, and to grow to be more like Christ.